Legal Aid in Irish

While both parties to the dispute are entitled to legal aid (e.g. marriage or cohabitation), they are usually represented by different legal centres. If Tusla initiates proceedings against you to place your child, you are entitled to legal aid, which can help you in your case and represent you during the court proceedings. For more information on obtaining legal aid in child custody proceedings, please contact the Legal Aid Committee. When the legal services are completed, you will be notified in writing. All original documents will be returned to you and your file will be closed. After a few years, closed files are destroyed in accordance with the guidelines of the Legal Aid Commission. You can reapply at any time for legal services for related or other matters. If you are considering applying for legal services, you may wish to read some of the Committee`s other information brochures, including how to apply for legal services and financial eligibility criteria. You can apply for civil legal aid and advice online if you live in the Republic of Ireland and have access to a PC/laptop with internet access.

You apply for legal aid in criminal cases from the district judge when you first appear before the court. More information is available here. Learn about civil and penal legal aid To be eligible for legal aid, you will generally need to pass both a means test and a benefits test. If you are eligible for legal aid, you will have to contribute to the full cost of the procedure. There are a limited number of exceptions to the obligation to contribute, including child care and domestic violence. The “Fees” section below lists the minimum and maximum contributions that can be made. To be eligible for legal advice or legal aid, you must complete a resource testing form, which is available at all legal aid offices or online here. The Resources Testing Act is contained in a large number of regulations that have been informally consolidated here. We cannot provide legal aid before a court other than the Court of Appeal for International Protection. Examples of tribunals include the labour court or a tenancy court established by the Residential Tenancies Board. We cannot provide legal aid for cases before district courts covered by the Small Claims Procedure (often informally referred to as “Small Claims Court”). Legal aid in civil matters is means-tested.

The means test determines whether you are eligible for legal aid and, if so, how much you will have to contribute based on your finances and how much legal advice will cost. Legal aid in criminal matters applies to persons accused of a crime. Civil legal aid helps people resolve family and civil disputes. In addition to preparatory work, civil legal aid means representation by a lawyer in civil proceedings before the Court of Appeal for International Protection. The Legal Aid Board provides legal assistance and advice to persons who are unable to pay for it themselves. You can apply online, by mail or in person at a legal centre of the Commission d`aide juridique. However, to be eligible for legal aid, you must meet certain criteria. In general, legal aid is provided by lawyers employed by the Committee in its legal centres. However, legal aid may also be granted by independent counsel by a group of lawyers appointed by the Commission.

This applies in particular to family law issues and international protection cases. Legal advice is not provided with respect to legal matters which, in the Council`s view, could be dealt with by obtaining appropriate advice other than state-supported legal advice. Sometimes, at the end of the proceedings, you will have to reimburse the cost of your legal aid if you earn or keep money or property as a result of your case. Your lawyer will explain this process to you. All persons under the age of 18 and persons over that age who are in full-time education are considered dependents of their parents, step-parents or guardians. In these circumstances, the income of parents, step-parents or guardians is taken into account when using legal services. The Legal Aid Committee is responsible for providing legal aid and advice in civil matters to those who are unable to pay for these services from their own resources. The Legal Aid Committee is not directly responsible for the provision of legal aid, but plays a role in the administration of certain aid schemes for criminal proceedings. Civil legal advice is any oral or written advice given to you by a lawyer or lawyer on the application of the law in civil matters. It may also involve writing letters on your behalf or acting for you in negotiations with others. Legal advice is provided by the lawyers on the board of directors of their network of law centres. If the Board refuses to give you legal advice, you can appeal the decision.

Civil legal help and advice does not apply if you have been charged with a crime. If you have been charged with committing a crime, you should talk to a licensed lawyer or ask the judge for legal help on the first day your case is heard by the court. If your application is accepted, you will be asked to make a minimum contribution. If legal aid is required, the Committee will issue you with a legal aid certificate. There are minimum contributions that must be paid, except in cases of extreme hardship. However, the contribution you have to make depends on your disposable income for legal advice and your disposable income and capital for legal aid. No contribution is required in cases of childcare and domestic violence, but you must still respect the limits of income and available capital. In certain circumstances, we automatically provide legal aid and advice in civil matters. In most other cases, we need to look at your income and assets. If you have to go to court, we will also look at the merits of the case. The Legal Aid Board provides legal aid to asylum seekers in Ireland to support the international protection procedure. More information can be found here, but it is also means-tested and requires the payment of a minimum contribution of €10 for legal advice and legal aid.

In principle, legal aid and legal advice are available for all civil cases, except those expressly excluded by law. People excluded by the law include: Calculate whether you are likely to be financially eligible for civil legal aid. Civil Litigation Aid and Advice is a publicly funded service that provides legal and legal assistance in civil matters to people who may not be able to afford a lawyer themselves. To qualify for legal aid and advice: You can apply for government-funded legal services if you need legal help and have a low income. The two most frequently used publicly funded services are legal aid in civil matters and legal aid in criminal cases. Legal aid in civil and criminal matters includes representation by a lawyer or lawyer before the courts and oral or written advice from a solicitor or barrister. You may not have to go to court in all circumstances. If you receive legal services, you are expected to be honest in the information you provide to the Board and your agent and to behave appropriately in your dealings with the Board and your agent at all times. Providing false information or inappropriate conduct may result in the withdrawal of legal services provided to you and you may be responsible for the full cost of providing your legal services. If the false information concerns your financial situation, we may ask you to pay more for your legal aid instead of withdrawing legal aid.

If you apply for legal aid or advice from the Legal Aid Committee and it is rejected, you can appeal by asking the decision-maker to review their decision, and if you are still not satisfied, you can ask the Legal Aid Committee Appeal Committee to reconsider the decision. You can submit your written appeal through the Law Centre lawyer who handles your application. We are an independent statutory body responsible for providing civil legal assistance and advice, family mediation and vulnerable witness services, as well as administering a range of ad hoc legal aid schemes. If your application is successful, you will be asked to make a financial contribution. The amount you pay depends on your funds. If you are applying for legal aid, you will need to pass a merits test and a means test to prove that you qualify. Legal assistance is also available for those arrested and detained in connection with a Garda investigation, and this includes legal advice and/or visits to a Garda station. If it`s a serious crime and you can`t afford the legal fees, you can get free legal help. However, you may also be entitled to free legal aid for less serious cases in exceptional circumstances, for example if you do not have a formal education, if you have a physical or mental disability, if you are ill, if you experience severe emotional distress or if you are unable to understand legal proceedings. Legal aid for civil cases in justified cases.

A merit test is a test that asks if you have the money to pay for the case yourself and if you would not be entitled to free legal aid if you went to court anyway. It also takes into account that a lawyer or lawyer would recommend that the case be pursued. Legal aid is granted only in criminal matters. A criminal case usually occurs when a law is broken and the state brings the person who broke it to justice.

You cannot copy content of this page